Smart things to say when a production bug arises in software development
Today I noticed an issue that was affecting production. Doesn't matter the issue, I don't think, but my supervisor asked some good questions, so I figured I'd document them. This helps me remember what I should do to be a better leader in emergent situations.
These aren't direct quotes, just summaries of the things he wanted to figure out to help him prioritize.
- Does this relate to some previous or ongoing issue that we know about?
- If so, what do I need to know about it that others on the team already know?
- How does this affect users?
- Do we know how many users are affected, or can we find out?
- If no one has reproduced the issue, could someone make a ticket and spend some short amount of time trying to reproduce it (up to 90 minutes)?
- If we can reproduce it, are there estimates of difficulty on a fix?
- If we were going to deploy it, would anything special be required in that deploy?